How to hire academic writers
From lab reports to research grants, to essays and dissertations, if you’re looking for a freelancer who can help you capture the tone and voice of a seasoned academic, an academic writer can help.
So how do you hire academic writers? What follows are some tips for finding top academic writers on Upwork.
What is academic writing?
Academic writing is about conveying information with a professional, concise, and objective tone. A strong emphasis is placed on following a formal structure, backing ideas with evidence, and properly citing references.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in academic writing freelancers:
- Academic writing
- Strong grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Familiarity with common citation styles (e.g. APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- Experience writing essays, reports, academic papers, literature reviews, etc.
How to shortlist academic writing freelancers
As you’re browsing available academic writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an academic writer who understands the diction, terminology, and phrases used in your industry.
- Project experience. It’s a good sign if you see projects similar to your own in an academic writer’s portfolio.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular academic writer.
Why do you want to hire academic writers?
The trick to finding top academic writers is to identify your needs. Do you need someone to formally document results from an experiment into a lab report? Or are you seeking someone with experience writing theses and dissertations to edit and proofread your own work? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective academic writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal academic writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective academic writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From articles to conference papers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, citation styles, or academic documents, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create academic papers, reports, and other content for your business or organization? Log in and post your academic writing job on Upwork today.