How to hire academic writers
From lab reports to research grants, from essays to dissertations, if you want writing that captures the tone and voice of a seasoned academic, an academic writer can help.
So how do you hire academic writers? What follows are some tips for finding top academic writing consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist academic writing professionals
As you’re browsing available academic writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an academic writer who understands the diction, terminology, and phrases used in your industry.
- Project experience. It’s a good sign if you see projects similar to your own in an academic writer’s portfolio.
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular academic writer.
How to write an effective academic writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal academic writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective academic writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From articles to conference papers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, citation styles, or academic documents, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create academic papers, reports, and other content for your business or organization? Log in and post your academic writing job on Upwork today.
ACADEMIC WRITERS FAQ
What is academic writing?
Academic writing is about conveying information with a professional, concise, and objective tone. A strong emphasis is placed on following a formal structure, backing ideas with evidence, and properly citing references.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in academic writing professionals:
- Academic writing
- Strong grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Familiarity with common citation styles (e.g. APA, MLA, Chicago)
- Experience writing essays, reports, papers, literature reviews, and other academic texts
Why hire academic writers?
The trick to finding top academic writers is to identify your needs. Do you need someone to formally document results from an experiment into a lab report? Or are you seeking someone with experience writing theses and dissertations to edit and proofread your own work? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an academic writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced academic writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their academic writing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.