What is an article writer?
An article writer will create content based on your needs and objectives. Whether it’s a blog post, eBook or ghostwriting for a magazine entry, an article writer will provide their expertise in technical, business or creative writing.
How do you hire an article writer?
You can source article writing talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in an article writer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview article writers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of article writer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire an article writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced article writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their article writing services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by article writers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $15 per hour
- Intermediate: $34 per hour
- Advanced: $80 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write an article writer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample article writer job post titles:
- Freelance article writer for blog posts
- Need ghostwriter to develop series of articles in engineering magazine
- Education expert needed to write articles on new learning practices
An effective article writer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From research to developing proper editorial tone, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, formats, or style, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Article writer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of article writer job responsibilities:
- Develop topics for series of articles in company newsletter
- Match tone of company website when writing blog entries
- Create highly technical articles consistent with industry norm
Article writer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in an article writer. Here are some examples:
- Ability to incorporate pre-selected keywords in every article
- Portfolio of articles and other content matching desired company tone
- Ability to ghostwrite for several different executives with different styles
- Familiarity with Google Docs