What is an ebook writer?
Producing an ebook is a great way to market your business, establish yourself as an industry expert, and obtain qualified business leads. Securing an ebook writer on Upwork means finding a capable resource who can help develop an outline and provide research while also providing a desired word count, style, and tone for the finished product.
How do you hire an ebook writer?
You can source ebook writer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in an ebook writer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview ebook writers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of ebook writer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire an ebook writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced ebook writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their ebook writing services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by ebook writers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $20 per hour
- Intermediate: $33 per hour
- Advanced: $80 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write an ebook writer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample ebook writer job post titles:
- Content writer needed to complete 3 ebooks
- Ebook writer with technical writing skills needed for 7-page lead magnet
- Need help converting blog into informative ebook
An effective ebook writer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From topic creation to editing, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or length, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ebook writer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of ebook writer job responsibilities:
- Conduct extensive research on all topics covered in ebook
- Provide outline of each topic and summary of each section
- Convert technical content into an easy to understand electronic brochure
Ebook writer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in an ebook writer. Here are some examples:
- Experience writing at least 5 ebooks in the last 12 months
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or English
- Ability to write with an authoritative voice