How to hire top content writers
Whether it’s to educate, climb search rankings, close a sale, or tell a story—content is king. If you need a contractor who can write content for your blog, landing page, or other marketing assets, a content writer can help.
So how do you hire a content writer? What follows is a crash course on how you can find top content writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist content writers
As you’re browsing available content writers, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. A specialist can write more content, faster, and with in-depth knowledge of your industry.
- Portfolio. The best way to gauge the skill of a content writer is to read what they wrote. Personal blogs are a great starting place.
- Feedback. Reviews can reveal any red flags such as missed deadlines. Glowing feedback can tip you off to a writer with an exceptional work ethic.
How to write an effective content writing job post
Now that you have a clear picture of the type of content writer you’re looking for, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective content writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From writing sales pages to technical white papers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your content writing needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working in a specific industry, be sure to mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to start fueling your marketing campaign with top-notch content? Log in and post your content writing job on Upwork today.
CONTENT WRITERS FAQ
What is content writing?
Content writing is the art of producing blog posts, product reviews, press releases, ad copy, and other marketing collateral. Content writers can make complex topics accessible to the layperson, or convince potential leads to follow through on a purchase.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in a freelance content writer:
- Excellent writing and grammar
- Adaptable writing voice that can match different styles/tones
- Word processing tools such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs
- Marketing skills (e.g., B2B, B2C, SEO)
Top content writers know how to craft content that both engages the reader and performs well in search engines.
Why hire content writers?
If you want to find a top content writer, it helps to get specific about your needs. There’s a big difference between writing simple SEO blog posts and long form sales pages designed to convert. Do you need someone to write the targeted message templates that will go into your automated email campaign? Or are you looking for experience writing product reviews? The scope of work of your project will have a direct impact on the cost of your content writing project.
How much does it cost to hire a content writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced content writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their content writing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.