How to hire online writers
Writing for the internet is a bit different from the writing you might do at work or in school. Eye-catching headings, bulleted lists, plain language, and an active voice are just some of the requirements of writing for the web. If you’re looking for a freelancer who can help you create quality content for the web, an online writer can help.
So how do you find an online writer? What follows are some tips on finding top online writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist online writing professionals
As you’re browsing available online writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an online writer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., uploading content directly to WordPress).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular online writer.
How to write an effective online writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal online writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective online writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From blog posts to engaging followers on social media, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create content that will help you maximize the effectiveness of your marketing campaign? Log in and post your online writing job on Upwork today.
ONLINE WRITERS FAQ
What is online writing?
Online writing refers to any text created with the intention of being viewed on the internet. From emails to blog posts to social media posts, online writers help businesses connect with their target audiences where they spend a large chunk of their time: online.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in online writing professionals:
- Content writing
Online writing consultants help give businesses a personality and voice through online copy.
Why hire online writers?
The trick to finding top online writers is to identify your needs. Are you looking for someone to write blog posts with a conversational tone of voice? Do you also require copywriting skills to create engaging content designed to encourage readers to take a certain action? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an online writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced online writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their online writing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.