What is a comedy writer?
A comedy writer creates jokes and humorous dialogue for television, radio, films, and other forms of entertainment. Comedy writers may also be tasked with assisting actors and producers with creating content, pitching stories, and reviewing scripts for movies and television series.
How do you hire a comedy writer?
You can source comedy writing talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a comedy writer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview comedy writers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of comedy writer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a comedy writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced comedy writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their comedy writing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a comedy writer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample comedy writer job post titles:
- Comedy writer needed to assist comedian with writing new content for an upcoming concert
- Freelance comedy writer needed add humor into corporate training video
- Freelance writer needed to improve a comedic sketch for popular web series
An effective comedy writer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From incorporating dry wit to pitching movie studios on comedic scripts, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain platforms, writing styles, or genres, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Comedy writer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of comedy writer job responsibilities:
- Take initial film concepts and turn them into complete comedy scripts
- Incorporate humorous lines into human resources videos
- Review my standup comedy segment to help me improve my timing
Comedy writer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a comedy writer. Here are some examples:
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a writer for second-tier comedians
- Ability to infuse stale scripts with humor
- Experience doing standup comedy