How to hire short story writers
From pop periodicals to fan fiction, short story writers are here to help put your ideas to paper.
So how do you hire short story writers? What follows are some tips for finding top short story writers on Upwork.
How to shortlist short story writing professionals
As you’re browsing available short story writing contractors, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles using criteria such as:
- Genre fit. You want a writer who understands the type of short story you wish to tell.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., instructional design background for incorporating short stories into an online course).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular short story writer.
How to write an effective short story writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal short story writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective short story writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From periodicals to anthologies, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain genres or subject-matter expertise, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
SHORT STORY WRITER FAQ
What is a short story?
A short story is a type of prose that is generally intended to be read in one sitting. This brevity generally means a short story, even when part of an anthology or series, can be enjoyed as a self-contained complete narrative.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in short story writing professionals:
- Short story writing
- Creative writing
- Proofreading and editing
Why hire a short story writer?
The trick to finding top short story writers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find a published author to regularly contribute content to your romance themed blog? Or are you looking for a ghostwriter to bring your pulp fiction short to life? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a short story writer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced short story writer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their short story writing more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.