What is a comic freelancer?
A comic freelancer is an artist who specializes in creating stylized artwork ranging from comic-book-style cartoon drawings to manga-inspired artwork. Comic freelancers may use a variety of tools and methods to create their artwork, including pencil, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and computer animation software.
How do you hire a comic freelancer?
You can source comic freelancers on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a comic freelancer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview comic freelancers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of comic freelancer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a comic freelancer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced comic freelancer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their comic freelancer services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by comic freelancers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $15 per hour
- Intermediate: $31 per hour
- Advanced: $85 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a comic freelancer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample comic freelancer job post titles:
- Need comic artist to help me bring my superhero ideas to life
- New graphic novel publisher looking for experienced artist
- Can you draw comics in the Peanuts style? We want to talk to you
An effective comic freelancer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From creating in Adobe Illustrator to drawings in different comic styles, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain genres, software, or styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Comic freelancer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of comic freelancer job responsibilities:
- Use Adobe Illustrator to create electronic images of latest superhero characters
- Add color to black-and-white art for a new graphic novel
- Convert rough client concepts to finished drawings
Comic freelancer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a comic freelancer. Here are some examples:
- Strong portfolio demonstrating ability to create comic book characters for children
- Demonstrated understanding of manga and anime artistic concepts
- Bachelor of arts in conceptual character design from an accredited art school