What is a calligrapher?
A calligrapher uses a paintbrush, pen or other device to create a particular style of writing that is artistic and expressive. A company or individual can find capable calligraphers on Upwork who can help them create beautiful texts and lettering for a variety of applications, including event invitations, logo designs, maps, memorial documents, poems and religious art.
How do you hire a calligrapher?
You can source calligraphy talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a calligrapher.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview calligraphers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of a calligrapher you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a calligrapher?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced calligrapher may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their calligraphy services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a calligrapher job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample calligraphy job post titles:
- Calligrapher needed to create a logo for a wedding company
- We are creating event invitations and need an exceptional calligrapher to help us
- Artist needed to design text and lettering for an atlas
An effective calligrapher job post should include:
- Scope of work: From creating captivating work to having in-depth knowledge on calligraphy, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or drawing styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Calligrapher job responsibilities
Here are some examples of a calligrapher job responsibilities:
- Create a 6 week course for adults interested in learning calligraphy
- Use Adobe Illustrator to develop wedding invitations using a particular style of calligraphy
- Develop a before and after portfolio of calligraphy students and highlight how certain techniques improved their work
Calligrapher job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a calligrapher. Here are some examples:
- Minimum 10 years of calligraphy experience
- Ability to apply calligraphy using pencil and graphic design software
- Familiarity with various tools and surfaces most appropriate for calligraphy