What is an illustrator?
The work an illustrator provides can be as diverse as the projects requiring their artwork. Some illustrators use pencil, ink, watercolor, and oil paint while others may be more adept at using computer illustration software such as Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. Either way, an illustrator can help you navigate the creative process and deliver beautiful graphics that bring your commercial, nonprofit, or personal project to life.
How do you hire an illustrator?
You can source illustrator talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in an illustrator.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview illustrators. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of illustrator you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire an illustrator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire a illustrator.
How do you write an illustrator job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample illustrator job post titles:
- Looking for an illustrator to develop construction and architectural renderings
- Seeking an illustrator with experience in children’s books
- Software illustrator needed for B2B icon development
An effective illustrator job post should include:
- Scope of work: From initial conception to final computer files, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer illustrators who use computer software, oil painting, pencil, or any other medium, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Illustrator job responsibilities
Here are some examples of illustrator job responsibilities:
- Creating illustrations for print collateral using Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop
- Conceptualizing relevant imagery to be used in a series of brochures
- Developing graphic files suitable for print and web
Illustrator job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in an illustrator. Here are some examples:
- Mastery of latest graphic design software, such as Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop
- Ability to take client direction, conceptualize initial drafts, and deliver final artwork
- Completion of deliverables by agreed-upon deadlines
- Portfolio of completed artwork for consumer product packaging