How to hire vector illustration specialists
Vector illustration specialists create logos, icons, and graphics that can scale to any size. So how do you hire vector illustration specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top vector illustration specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist vector illustration professionals
As you’re browsing available vector illustration consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Aesthetic fit. You want a vector illustration specialist who understands the art direction you wish to pursue with your brand.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., editing photographs in Adobe Photoshop before using them to create vector graphics in Illustrator).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular vector illustration specialist.
How to write an effective vector illustration job post
With a clear picture of your ideal vector illustration specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for an independent professional to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective vector illustration job post should include:
- Scope of work: From logo design to desktop publishing, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or graphic design tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
VECTOR ILLUSTRATION SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is vector illustration?
Vector illustration is the practice of creating graphics using points, lines, and curves based on vector math. Unlike conventional raster (pixel-based) images, vector-based images maintain their resolution when scaled up and down to different sizes.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in vector illustration professionals:
- Vector illustration
- Graphic design
- Vector graphics tools (e.g., Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Vectr)
Why hire vector illustration specialists?
The trick to finding top vector illustration specialists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to create a logo that will scale consistently across a variety of digital and printed materials? Do you require experience designing graphics for a specific medium such as billboards?
The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a vector illustration specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced vector illustration specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their vector illustration services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.