How to hire brand strategists
From corporate blogs to social media accounts, it takes a lot of coordination and planning to turn a diverse collection of marketing assets into one cohesive brand. If you’re looking for a freelancer who can make sure your brand’s messaging remains consistent across all marketing channels, a brand strategist can help.
So how do you hire brand strategists? What follows is a crash course on how you can find top brand strategists on Upwork.
What is brand strategy?
Brand strategy covers all the planning that goes into building a brand. From crafting a style guide to keep your voice consistent, to working with your design team to ensure your brand’s aesthetic remains solid, brand strategy freelancers bring consistency to marketing campaigns.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in brand strategy consultants:
- Communication (visual presentation, persuasive writing)
- Familiarity with collaborative tools such as style guides and creative briefs
- Public relations (PR)
- Market research and analysis
Brand strategists help businesses formulate strategies for building and maintaining their brands.
How to shortlist brand strategy consultants
As you’re browsing available brand strategists, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a brand strategist who understands your industry, so they can help you resonate with your target audience.
- Teamwork. The brand strategist needs to be an effective communicator who can keep different departments aligned.
- Feedback. Check reviews to see if past clients were satisfied with a freelancer’s brand strategy.
Why do you want to hire brand strategists?
The trick to finding top brand strategists is to identify your branding needs. Are you looking for someone with social media savvy? Will they be building a new brand from scratch or revitalizing an old brand? Your scope of work will have a direct impact on the type of freelancer you hire, and how much your project will cost.
How to write an effective brand strategy job post
Once you have a clear idea of the type of brand strategist you’re looking for, it’s time to turn those ideas into a job post. Provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the job.
An effective brand strategy job post should include:
- Scope of work: From writing creative briefs to interfacing with other members of the marketing team, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your brand strategy needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to consolidate your marketing efforts into one cohesive brand? Log in and post your brand strategy job on Upwork today.