How to hire business writers
Effective business writing is clear, concise, and professional. Whether you’re looking for content for the corporate blog, informational articles about your products and services, or press releases and other marketing collateral, a business writer can help.
So how do you hire business writers? What follows are some tips for finding top business writers on Upwork.
What is business writing?
Business writing includes reports, proposals, memos, emails, blog content, and other written materials that businesses output on a daily basis. The tone is best described as formal and concise, with an emphasis on clear communication.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in business writing freelancers:
- Business writing
- Project-specific writing expertise (e.g., content writing, copywriting, technical writing)
- Editing and proofreading
- Basic design skills (such as for presentations and infographics) are a plus but not required
How to shortlist business writing freelancers
As you’re browsing available business writing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a business writer who understands your content needs and can use terminology specific to your industry.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., using LaTeX to create professional-looking reports).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular business writer.
Why do you want to hire business writers?
The trick to finding top business writers is to identify your needs. Do you need someone to regularly contribute content to a company blog? Will they need copywriting skills to create B2B emails for an automated email marketing campaign? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective business writing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal business writer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective business writing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From writing press releases to business plans, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to hire a freelancer to serve all your business writing needs? Log in and post your business writing job on Upwork today.