How to hire top content strategists
We all know content is king, but if you want to make the most of your content marketing campaigns, a little planning and coordination can go a long way. A content strategist can help you schedule and develop content that brings you closer to your marketing goals.
So how do you hire content strategists? What follows is a crash course on how you can find top content strategy freelancers on Upwork.
How to shortlist content strategy consultants
As you’re browsing available content strategy consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers that you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Marketing fit. You want a strategist familiar with your target market, so they’ll know what type of content to produce and how to schedule it.
- Organization. Content strategy is largely about aligning content calendars with related initiatives and tracking the performance of different marketing channels.
- Feedback. Reviews from past clients can tell you if a freelancer is someone you can work with.
How to write an effective content strategy job post
With a clear portrait of your ideal content strategist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the job.
An effective content strategy job post should include:
- Scope of work: From brainstorming ideas to scheduling content, list all the deliverables.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a shorter or larger project.
- Background: Translate your marketing strategy needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to maximize the effectiveness of your content marketing efforts? Log in and post your content strategy job on Upwork today.
CONTENT STRATEGY FAQ
What is content strategy?
Content strategy covers all the planning involved such as deciding what content to produce and when to publish it. From turning SEO keywords into titles for the company blog, to timing product launches and social media posts, a content strategist fits your content to a cohesive strategy.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in content strategy freelancers:
- Content marketing (e.g., blog posts, social media feeds, infographics, podcasts, and video)
- Organization and coordination (e.g., roadmaps, Gantt charts)
- Market research and analysis
Content strategists help businesses track and manage the content that fuels their marketing campaign.
Why do you want to hire content strategists?
The key to finding a content strategist is to identify your needs. Are you looking for someone experienced with setting up a typical blog content production pipeline? Or do you also require niche skills like helping coordinate social media posts with influencers? The cost of your project depends heavily on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a content strategist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced content strategist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their content strategy services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.