How to hire content marketers
In the world of digital marketing, content is king. It takes a solid content strategy to remain competitive in search rankings and maximize user engagement.
So how do you hire content marketers? What follows are some tips for finding top content marketers on Upwork.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing involves developing a marketing strategy around the sharing of articles, videos, social media posts, and other content. The goal is to create valuable content that is relevant to the products and services a business provides, building brand authority, organic search, and customer engagement.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in content marketing freelancers:
- Content marketing
- Desired writing skill (e.g., SEO writing, copywriting, business writing)
- Social media management
- Inbound marketing
- Content-specific skills (e.g., video production for creating explainer videos)
How to shortlist content marketing freelancers
As you’re browsing available content marketing consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a content marketer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., creating high-quality infographics with Adobe Illustrator).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular content marketer.
Why do you want to hire content marketers?
The trick to finding top content marketers is to identify your needs. Do you need a content marketer to create a content calendar for your business blog? Do you also require niche skills such as generating content ideas for your podcast? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective content marketing job post
With a clear picture of your ideal content marketer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective content marketing job post should include:
- Scope of work: From social media posts to press releases, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or marketing channels, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create quality content that will resonate with your target audience? Log in and post your content marketing job on Upwork today.