How to hire top digital marketers
If you want to reach your customers, you have to engage them where they spend most of their time. Whether it’s via email, social media, search, or paid ads, a freelance digital marketer can help you connect with your target market.
So how do you hire a digital marketing consultant? What follows is a crash course on how you can hire digital marketers on Upwork.
How to shortlist digital marketing consultants
As you’re browsing available digital marketing professionals, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to contact and interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Marketing fit. Digital marketer is a broad title, so experience with the specific assets (e.g., blogs) and channels (e.g., social media) you need help with is key.
- Organization skills. Blogs, landing pages, social media accounts, mobile apps, podcasts, and video—it’s not easy keeping track of all those channels.
- Feedback. Reviews from past clients can tip you off to how a digital marketer will handle your marketing campaign.
How to write an effective digital marketing job post
Now that you have a clear picture of the digital marketer you want to hire, it’s time to write that job post. Provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the job.
An effective digital marketer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From paid search, to content marketing, to tracking KPIs, and performing marketing analytics, list all the deliverables you’ll need
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a quick project or you’ll need repeat help
- Background: Translate your digital marketing needs into a candidate profile. If you prefer experience working in a specific industry, be sure to mention this here.
- Budget: Set a marketing budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to take control of your assets and channels and maximize your marketing potential? Log in and post your digital marketing job on Upwork today.
DIGITAL MARKETERS FAQ
What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is an umbrella term that covers all marketing efforts.
If you’re looking to use data analytics to help track and manage your social media, SEO, and other marketing efforts, a digital marketer can help.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in a digital marketer:
- Data analytics, tracking, and monitoring of KPIs (e.g., traffic, conversions)
- Project management
- Content marketing (including text, video, and audio)
- Product marketing
- Organic (e.g., SEO) and paid (e.g., PPC) advertising
- Public relations
A digital marketer’s primary role is to track and manage an organization’s ability to hit KPIs across all its digital assets and marketing channels.
Why hire digital marketers?
The key to finding a top digital marketer is to get specific about your needs. Do you need help with a website, a mobile app, or both? Is your business active on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or all three? Will you be creating video and/or audio in addition to the standard blog content? The number of channels you have and the type of content you need produced will have a direct impact on cost.
How much does it cost to hire a digital marketer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced digital marketer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their digital marketing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.