HOW TO HIRE LARAVEL DEVELOPERS
Trying to build a web app that’s easy to maintain, test, and update as you scale? A Laravel developer can help.
So how do you hire Laravel developers? What follows are some tips for finding top Laravel developers on Upwork.
What is Laravel?
Laravel is a PHP web development framework that’s known for its MVC (model-view-controller) support, database-agnostic migrations, and schema builder.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Laravel freelancers:
- Laravel framework
- PHP programming language
- LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP)
How to shortlist Laravel freelancers
As you’re browsing available Laravel consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a Laravel developer who understands the technologies you wish to use with Laravel.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., supporting a Vue.js front end with a Laravel back end).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Laravel developer.
Why do you want to hire Laravel developers?
The trick to finding top Laravel developers is to identify your needs. Are you looking for a developer experienced with Eloquent ORM (object-relational mapping) to help you manage your database through Laravel? Is your goal to stack a Laravel back end with a modern UI library such as Vue? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective Laravel job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Laravel developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Laravel job post should include:
- Scope of work: From unit tests to database migrations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain developer tools or web technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to power your web app with Laravel? Log in and post your Laravel job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING LARAVEL DEVELOPERS
How much does it cost to hire a Laravel developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Laravel developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Laravel services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a Laravel developer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long it takes to build a Laravel-powered app, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more-complex builds. For example, creating a simple landing page for your information product will typically take less time than building a full-featured SPA (single-page application).
What are the steps involved to hire Laravel developers?
Here’s how to hire Laravel consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s implementing OAuth or building a LAMP app.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., perform unit and integration tests on a Laravel back end).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential Laravel developers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., using a React front end with a Laravel back end).
- Interview Laravel talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.