How to hire academic researchers
From researching peer-reviewed journals to back up online editorial to performing a literature review for a medical research proposal, academic researchers are here to help.
So how do you hire academic research consultants? What follows are some tips for finding top academic researchers on Upwork.
How to shortlist academic research professionals
As you’re browsing available academic research consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Subject matter. You want an academic researcher who understands the academic subject you are trying to research.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., researching legal precedence for an academic paper on real-estate law).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular academic researcher.
How to write an effective academic research job post
With a clear picture of your ideal academic researcher in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective academic research job post should include:
- Scope of work: From literature reviews to academic papers, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain subjects or research techniques, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to launch your academic research project? Log in and post your academic research job on Upwork today.
ACADEMIC RESEARCHERS FAQ
What is academic research?
Academic research is the systematic investigation of a field of knowledge in an academic setting.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in academic research professionals:
- Academic research
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Subject-matter expertise (e.g., medical science, electrical engineering, physics)
Why hire academic researchers?
The trick to finding top academic researchers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to find someone to search peer-reviewed journals and publications for an academic research project? Will you require technical skills such as data mining and exploratory data analysis (EDA) to perform your research? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an academic researcher?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced academic researcher may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their academic research services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.