Android NDK developers can squeeze out extra performance from device hardware for resource-intensive multimedia apps and video games.
So how do you hire Android NDK developers? What follows are some tips for finding top Android NDK developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist Android NDK professionals
As you’re browsing available Android NDK consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want an Android NDK developer who understands the technologies behind your Android app.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., 3D rendering with Vulkan).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Android NDK developer.
How to write an effective Android NDK job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Android NDK developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Android NDK job post should include:
- Scope of work: From performance tweaks to multimedia apps, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, technologies, or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to boost the performance of your Android apps with native code? Log in and post your Android NDK job on Upwork today.
ANDROID NDK DEVELOPERS FAQs
What is Android NDK?
Android NDK (Native Development Kit) is a tool set developers can use to implement parts of their Android apps in native code using languages such as C and C++. Native code can be used to boost app performance and access hardware features not typically available to the Android SDK (Software Development Kit).
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Android NDK professionals:
- Android NDK
- C and C++ programming languages
- 2D/3D rendering APIs (e.g., OpenGL, Vulkan)
Why do you want to hire Android NDK developers?
The trick to finding top Android NDK developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to maximize the performance of an Android device’s GPU to render 3D graphics for your video game? Or are you trying to access a specific hardware feature such as a camera for fine-grained photo capture and processing? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an Android NDK developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Android NDK developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Android NDK services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract an Android NDK developer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need an Android NDK developer, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more-demanding Android NDK projects. For example, using C/C++ code to boost performance of the GUI (graphical user interface) of your photo editing app will typically take less time than coding a performant mobile game from scratch.
What are the steps involved to hire Android NDK developers?
Here’s how to hire Android NDK consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s boosting game performance with vertex array objects or optimizing native code with Simpleperf.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., building a real-time translation app).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential Android NDK developers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., rendering 3D objects for an augmented reality app).
- Interview Android NDK talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.