How to hire artificial intelligence engineers
From facial recognition software to Big Data analytics, artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms are making waves in the digital world. An artificial intelligence (AI) engineer can help you build your own AIs and machine learning algorithms.
So how do you hire AI engineers? What follows are some tips for finding top AI engineers on Upwork.
How to shortlist AI engineering professionals
As you’re browsing available AI engineering consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want an AI engineer who understands the libraries, frameworks, and other technologies used in your technology stack.
- Project experience. You can screen candidates based on their experience working on projects similar to your own.
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular AI engineer.
How to write an effective AI engineering job post
With a clear picture of your ideal AI engineer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective AI engineer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From AI development services to NLP-powered chatbots, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your AI project to life? Log in and post your artificial intelligence job on Upwork today.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ENGINEERS FAQ
What is AI engineering?
AI engineering is about finding AI solutions to complex problems. An AI engineer is often tasked with building and deploying machine learning models and algorithms across a variety of IT infrastructures to create AI-powered applications.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in AI engineering freelancers:
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Data science and engineering
- Full-stack application development
- Technology stack specific languages and tools (e.g., Python and TensorFlow)
Why hire AI engineers?
The trick to finding top AI engineers is to identify your needs. Are you trying to use natural language processing (NLP) to automate some of your content generation? Or is your goal to process large volumes of unstructured data with the help of a custom machine learning algorithm? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an AI engineer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced AI engineer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their AI engineering services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.