How to hire mechanical designers
Whether you’re building automobile parts, consumer electronics, or food storage containers, you’ll need a mechanical designer to draft the engineering drawings a manufacturer (or your own assembly line) will use to bring your product to life.
So how do you hire mechanical designers? What follows are some tips for finding top mechanical designers on Upwork.
How to shortlist mechanical design professionals
As you’re browsing available mechanical design consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a mechanical designer who understands your industry so they will be aware of industry-specific manufacturing requirements and specifications.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., drafting engineering drawings of batteries for an aerospace project).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular mechanical designer.
How to write an effective mechanical design job post
With a clear picture of your ideal mechanical designer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective mechanical design job post should include:
- Scope of work: From blueprints to 3D models, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or design tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to turn your product idea into a working engineering drawing? Log in and post your mechanical design job on Upwork today.
MECHANICAL DESIGNERS FAQ
What is mechanical design?
Mechanical design is the process of turning product specifications and requirements into engineering drawings. These drawings can be 2D or 3D and contain information such as dimensions and material specifications that are needed to manufacture a design.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in mechanical design professionals:
- Mechanical design
- Product design
- Mechanical engineering
- Computer-aided design (CAD)
- CAD tools such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks
Why hire mechanical designers?
The trick to finding top mechanical designers is to identify your needs. Are you looking for a designer with experience drafting drawings in accordance with industry-specific standards (e.g., ISO 13485 for medical devices)? Or is your goal to create a 3D model in SolidWorks that can be imported into COMSOL Multiphysics for finite element analysis? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a mechanical designer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced mechanical designer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their mechanical design services more competitively.