How to hire executive assistants
It takes a lot of planning and coordination to run a business. An executive assistant can write memos, train staff, schedule meetings, and handle all the other administrative tasks that keep your business running every day.
So how do you hire executive assistants? What follows are some tips for finding top executive assistants on Upwork.
How to shortlist professional executive assistants
As you’re browsing available executive assistant consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want an executive assistant who understands the lingo and tools of your industry so they can slide right into your existing workflow.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., delegating tasks through Trello).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular executive assistant.
How to write an effective executive assistant job post
With a clear picture of your ideal executive assistant in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective executive assistant job post should include:
- Scope of work: From keeping meeting minutes to project management, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or software, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to reduce the administrative burden of running a business? Log in and post your executive assistant job on Upwork today.
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANTS FAQ
What is an executive assistant?
An executive assistant is a secretary appointed to a high-level manager or professional. In addition to clerical tasks, an executive assistant might also need project management skills to delegate tasks to other professionals.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in professional executive assistants:
- Administrative support
- Business planning and development
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Project management
- Job-specific expertise
Why hire executive assistants?
The trick to finding top executive assistants is to identify your needs. Do you need someone to schedule important events, answer emails, and handle other office tasks? Will they also need job-specific skills such as event planning for an upcoming product launch?
The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an executive assistant?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced executive assistant may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their executive assistant services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.