Knowledge is power, but only if you have the means to reliably capture, store, and retrieve the data you generate and collect. Relational database developers can help you build and manage software infrastructure that supports your business processes and digital products.
So how do you hire relational database developers? What follows are some tips for finding top relational database developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist relational database professionals
As you’re browsing available relational database consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a relational database developer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., building relational database solutions with Apache Cassandra).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular relational database developer.
How to write an effective relational database job post
With a clear picture of your ideal relational database developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective relational database job post should include:
- Scope of work: From database setup to data analysis, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, database technologies, or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to leverage the reliability of relational databases for your apps and services? Log in and post your relational database job on Upwork today.
Relational Database Developers FAQs
What is a relational database?
A relational database is more than just a set of data tables; it also captures the relationships among those data sets, allowing the user to perform complex search queries.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in relational database professionals:
- Relational databases
- Data science and analytics
- Database programming (especially with SQL)
- Cloud services platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Relational database management systems (RDBMSs) such as MySQL and Microsoft Access
Why do you want to hire relational database developers?
The trick to finding top relational database developers is to identify your needs. Do you need help setting up a typical RDBMS such as MariaDB for your business website? Or do you require someone familiar with object-relational databases such as PostgreSQL? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a relational database developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced relational database developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their relational database services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a relational database developer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need a relational database specialist, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more-demanding relational database projects. For example, setting up and managing a relational database for a small online store will typically take less time than building an RDBMS for a new SaaS (software as a service) product.
What are the steps involved to hire relational database developers?
Here’s how to hire relational database consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s system administration or back-end web development.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., setting up MySQL for your personal blog).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential relational database developers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., experience with Amazon Aurora relational database engine).
- Interview relational database talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.