How to hire web developers
A solid website is the cornerstone of any modern marketing campaign. If you’re looking for a freelancer who can help you build and maintain a web application, a web developer can help.
So how do you find a web developer? What follows are some tips for finding top web developers on Upwork.
What is web development?
Web development is best divided into two roles: the front-end developer which codes UI elements such as the search bar, drop-down menus, and forms, and the back-end developer who handles the data management and business logic that powers the app from behind the scenes. While web developers can handle both roles, they usually specialize in either the front end or back end of a technology stack.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in web development freelancers:
- Back-end frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Node.js, and/or ASP.NET
- Content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress, Joomla, and Squarespace
- Basic UI/UX design concepts
Web development consultants help businesses bring their web projects to life.
How to shortlist web development freelancers
As you’re browsing available web development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a web developer who understands your technology stack (e.g. MEAN), so they can slide into your developer workflow.
- Organization. Good code is well documented—you want a developer whose work can be understood by the rest of your team.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular web developer.
Why do you want to hire web developers?
The trick to finding top web developers is to identify your needs. Are you building a dynamic single page application (SPA) that requires knowledge of AJAX and modern frameworks such as Angular? Or are you looking for help developing a progressive web app (PWA) for mobile? The cost of your web development project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective web development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal web developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective web development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From database migrations to payment gateways, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you require help with both the frontend and backend of a technology stack, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create a website that will help you maximize the effectiveness of your digital marketing campaign? Log in and post your web development job on Upwork today.