Find the best 3D Design jobs
It takes just one job to develop a successful relationship that can propel your career forward.Find Work Want to hire a 3D Design?
Professionals on Upwork rate clients
on average from 2M+ reviews
Check out a sample of the 2,431 3D Design jobs posted on Upwork
Scope of the work To design rainwater harvesting systems from Gutters to Masonry and concrete underground water tanks and design/recomm…
We have a physical tech product for that we have submitted technical descriptions and other contents to the USPTO for a patent, and we…
1 to 3 months
I am in the process of remodeling a 3000 square-foot historical home in Lynchburg Virginia (interior,exterior) The house is currently a…
Hi, I want some one who can provide me photorealistic renders of exterior of house. I have floor plan and proposed elevation. Please d…
This work was started earlier as a skp file, the location of the swimming pool is defined and designed in 3d in skp file, also the faca…
(I I state that the top pebble of one prototype should have marriage and another should have life event if possible. My name is charmay…
Hello this job is for advertisement, purposes, skills 3D rendering/video’s graphics. Job: 12 PNG Designs will be Provide, what is neede…
I'm looking into having a single 3D character made that can be animated. This model need to have all rigging done. In terms of art s…
Hello everyone, my project requires the creation of 3d furniture in 3ds max If there are too many responses, then will need to test you…
Looking for exterior & interior design for property located in an urban neighborhood in Louisiana. Property is old needs a modern day g…
can earn $20–$30/hr.
Median hourly rates (USD)
How to Become a Freelance 3D Designer
Incorporating 3D capability in architecture, engineering, gaming, graphic design, cinema, and other areas has made 3D design an in-demand skill. Improved computer technology and advanced software at affordable prices makes 3D design easily accessible to virtually everyone.
If you are particularly intrigued by the most advanced three-dimensional design practices, you may have what it takes to be a freelance 3D designer on Upwork.
What does a freelance 3D designer do?
A freelance 3D designer produces three-dimensional visual effects, animations, and models used in various scenarios, including games, architecture, cinema, marketing, and more. Often, 3D animation is associated with special effects in games and films. 3D modeling is also used by engineering and manufacturing companies to design and test components, structures, or machines - well before anything is actually produced.
Most 3D designers use modeling software such as Maya and Blender to create 3D graphics for their employers. Often times they’ll also need knowledge about Adobe Photoshop and other motion graphics, and graphic design software to get to the desired effect based on the client's needs. A 3D artist incorporates perspective, shadows, texture, and other characteristics derived from real-life objects and environments. Designers with 3D computer skills have mastered various 3D modeling software and can deliver needed solutions to their clients, regardless of company or industry.
What skills do I need to become a freelance 3D designer?
A 3D designer offers a variety of skills desired by clients. Organizations such as architectural design firms, film production companies, gaming companies, toy manufacturers, and consumer product design manufacturers rely on 3D design to conceptualize projects and products.
Common skills a freelance 3D designer should possess include:
- An eye for design and creativity. While there are a variety of 3D design software solutions available for virtually any industry or project, they only provide value in the hands of someone with an eye and aptitude for design. Every 3D designer should possess a high degree of creativity in order to attract clients and deliver excellent work.
- An ability to conceptualize. Having an eye for design is, of course, an important skill for 3D designers to possess, but the ability to utilize those design concepts and bring ideas and concepts to reality is just as important.
- Familiarity with top 3D design software. Clients expect freelance 3D designers to have familiarity with the most popular 3D design software on the market, such as Blender, Autodesk, Cinema 4D, and Modo.
- Excellent communication skills. This skill is critically important, as it not only helps 3D designers engage with clients and understand their key objectives, it allows designers to provide advice and feedback to clients to ensure all parties are in agreement.
- Keen ability to work in a team environment. Working in a team environment is a must for most freelance 3D designers. While some projects may be suitable for freelance work, most projects will require a team approach. As such, the freelance 3D designer must understand the nuances of give and take while also delivering their best work.
- Capable problem-solver. Often, 3D design work involves significant problem-solving. Because this is especially true in architecture, engineering, and manufacturing, a freelance 3D designer must understand their client’s key challenges.
- Proactive mindset. Excellent 3D designers don’t wait to be asked for their opinions. Instead, they anticipate challenges and offer solutions before the client realizes there is an issue.
What are the core freelance 3D designer job responsibilities
Different clients will require freelance 3D designers to handle a number of duties during the course of their 3d modeling jobs. While duties may change depending on the client’s needs and job type, there are core responsibilities clients will ask freelance 3D artists to handle. These responsibilities typically include the following:
- Review and understand all product requirements in accordance to meeting key company objectives and adhering to brand guidelines
- Work closely with product development team members to develop products and solutions in three-dimensional models, layouts, and templates.
- Collaborate with 3D printer technicians to produce product prototypes necessary for executive review
- Coordinate with video game writers to create 3d renderings of characters and environments for 3D games
- Create multiple textures for furniture and interior environments using popular 3D design and graphic design computer software such as the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Provide updates to senior management and stakeholders through weekly reports.
Should I get a degree or certification to become a freelance 3D designer?
While it is not necessary for freelance 3D designers to obtain a certification to complete projects for clients, obtaining a degree is very helpful.
Some examples of popular degrees that are helpful when becoming a freelance 3D designer include:
- An associate, bachelor’s degree, or master’s degree in computer science, computer graphics, graphic design, motion graphics, art, web design, or an equivalent field of study from an accredited college or university
Jumpstart your freelance 3D design career on Upwork and start looking for your first job. Eager to learn more about freelance 3D design jobs on Upwork? Check out these additional resources:
Upwork is not affiliated with and does not sponsor or endorse any of the tools or services discussed in this section. These tools and services are provided only as potential options, and each reader and company should take the time needed to adequately analyze and determine the tools or services that would best fit their specific needs and situation.
Your next job starts right here
Set up a free profile to showcase your skills, experience, and desired pay rate to clients. You choose the payment method that's best for you to easily get paid for your work.Find Work
Gives you security and peace of mind