What is 3D animation?
3D animation brings life to films, games, commercials, and advertising thanks to three-dimensional graphics software. 3D animators can create scenes that help sell your product, educate your audience, or provide buzz-worthy entertainment for your fans with top-notch graphics, flexible models, and realistic designs.
How do you hire a 3D animator?
You can source 3D animation talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a 3D animator.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview 3D animators. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of 3D animator you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a 3D animator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire 3D animators.
How do you write a 3D animator job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample 3D animator job post titles:
- Need a 3D animator for short videos displaying retail products
- Looking for a 3D animator to create a virtual reality trade showroom
- 3D animator needed to create a tennis advertisement
An effective 3D animator job post should include:
- Scope of work: From storyboarding to sound integration, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or formats, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
3D animator job responsibilities
Here are some examples of 3D animator job responsibilities:
- Work with a creative director to conceptualize and storyboard the project
- Provide preliminary sketches for feedback to incorporate
- Leverage background, texture, colors, lighting, and sound to optimize animation
- Edit and finalize sequences to ensure the final product meets expectations
3D animator job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a 3D animator. Here are some examples:
- Experience with Maya, Adobe Creative Suite, Cinema 4D, MotionBuilder, Mudbox, ZBrush, or other animation software
- Background in graphic design, multimedia design, and/or animation
- Portfolio of similar completed creative visual projects