How to hire animators
From film to video games, animation is about bringing your 2D and 3D images to life. Whether it’s to add some personality to your video advertisements or improve the UI/UX of your app, animators can help.
So how do you find an animator? What follows are some tips for finding top animators on Upwork.
How to shortlist animation professionals
As you’re browsing available animation consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. Animators typically specialize, so you’ll want an animator who understands the technologies needed to bring your project to life.
- Portfolio. The best way to judge the skills of an animator is to see their past work.
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular animator.
How to write an effective animation job post
With a clear picture of your ideal animator in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective animation job post should include:
- Scope of work: From creating animated shorts to designing 3D animations for your AR app, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain styles, software, or industries, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create an animation that will help you maximize the effectiveness of your marketing campaign? Log in and post your animation job on Upwork today.
What is animation?
Whether it’s 2D, 3D, or stop-motion animation, the same basic concept applies: Use the rapid succession of subtly changing still images to create the illusion of movement. From video games to custom loading screens, animation’s applications are limited only by your imagination.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in freelance animators:
- 2D animation software such as Toon Boom Harmony
- 3D animation software such as Maya or Blender
- Graphic design and illustration
Animation consultants help businesses create stunning animations for their products and services.
Why hire animators?
The trick to finding top animators is to identify your needs. There’s a big difference between developing 3D animations for a VR game and generating 2D animations for your mobile UI. The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire an animator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced animator may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their animation services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.