How to hire animators
From film to videogames, animation is about bringing your 2D and 3D images to life. Whether it’s to add some personality to your video adverts or improve the UI/UX of your app, animators can help.
So how do you find an animator? What follows are some tips for finding top animators on Upwork.
What is animation?
Whether it’s 2D, 3D, or stop-motion animation, the same basic concept applies: use the rapid succession of subtly changing still images to create the illusion of movement. From video games to custom loading screens, animation’s applications are only limited by your imagination.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in freelance animators:
- 2D animation software such as Toon Harmony
- 3D animation software such as Maya or Blender
- Graphic design and illustration
- Creativity and imagination
Animation consultants help businesses create stunning animations for their products and services.
How to shortlist freelance animators
As you’re browsing available animation consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. Animators typically specialize, so you’ll want an animator who understands the technologies needed to bring your project to life.
- Portfolio. The best way to judge the skills of an animator is to see their past work.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular animator.
Why do you want to hire animators?
The trick to finding top animators is to identify your needs. There’s a big difference between developing 3D animations for a VR game and generating 2D animations for your mobile UI. The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective animation job post
With a clear picture of your ideal animator in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective animation job post should include:
- Scope of work: From animated shorts to 3D models for your AR app, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain styles, software, or industries, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create an animation that will help you maximize the effectiveness of your marketing campaign? Log in and post your animation job on Upwork today.