What is an explainer video freelancer?
Explainer videos have become increasingly popular over the past several years as a way to quickly educate an audience regarding a product, service, or idea. An explainer video freelancer can help those interested in developing and deploying such a solution by offering expertise in scriptwriting, video animation, score and voice-over selection, and distribution.
How do you hire an explainer video freelancer?
You can source explainer video freelance talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in an explainer video freelancer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview explainer video freelancers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of explainer video freelancer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire an explainer video freelancer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced explainer video freelancer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their explainer video freelancing services more competitively.
Rates typically charged by explainer video freelancers on Upwork are:
- Beginner: $15 per hour
- Intermediate: $36 per hour
- Advanced: $150 per hour
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write an explainer video freelancer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample explainer video freelancer job post titles:
- Animator needed for corporate explainer video
- Scriptwriter needed for short explainer video
- Rock-star explainer video producer needed for new mobile app
An effective explainer video freelancer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From initial concepting to hands-on animation, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or styles, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Explainer video freelancer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of explainer video freelancer job responsibilities:
- Write all scripts for batch of company explainer videos
- Develop storyboard for explainer video for new software
- Edit all existing explainer videos and delete obsolete products
Explainer video freelancer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in an explainer video freelancer. Here are some examples:
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere or Apple Final Cut Pro
- Well versed in writing compelling scripts for explainer videos
- Experience sourcing voice-over and music assets
- Track record of meeting all deadlines