How to hire video animators
Whether it’s adding motion graphics to a live video ad or animating a story for entertainment, video animators are here to help.
So how do you hire video animators? What follows are some tips for finding top video animators on Upwork.
How to shortlist video animation professionals
As you’re browsing available video animation consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Type of animation. Whether it’s VFX or full-length animated films, you want a video animator who is familiar with the type of animation you are trying to create.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., creating a 3D animated film with Blender).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular video animator.
How to write an effective video animation job post
With a clear picture of your ideal video animator in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective video animation job post should include:
- Scope of work: From motion graphics to animated shorts, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain animation styles, industries, or design tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your video animation project to life? Log in and post your video animation job on Upwork today.
VIDEO ANIMATORS FAQ
What is video animation?
When people talk about video animation, they are generally referring to one of two things:
- The creation of animated videos for advertisements, information, and/or entertainment.
- VFX (visual effects) animations used in live-action video such as motion graphics, animated overlays, and scene transitions.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in video animation consultants:
- Video animation
- VFX animation
- 2D/3D animation tools such as Maya
- Video editing tools such as Adobe After Effects
Why hire video animators?
The trick to finding top video animators is to identify your needs. Are you looking for a VFX pro to help you add motion graphics to a film with Adobe After Effects? Or is your goal to create a 2D animated short with Moho Pro? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life. </p
How much does it cost to hire a video animator?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced video animator may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their video animation services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.