What is a COBOL programmer?
COBOL is an interpretive, object-oriented, and procedural programming language designed with business and financial support as its focus. COBOL has been in existence for more than 60 years, has a long history of providing accessible code, offers a stable framework for many notable programs, and can be incorporated today by seasoned COBOL programmers available through Upwork.
How do you hire a COBOL programmer?
You can source COBOL programmer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a COBOL programmer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview COBOL programmers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of COBOL programmer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a COBOL programmer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced COBOL programmer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their COBOL development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a COBOL programmer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample COBOL programmer job post titles:
- Need COBOL programmer for banking mainframe project
- Looking for COBOL programmer to create core company products
- Programming expert needed to convert segments of data from COBOL to Java
An effective COBOL programmer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From programming to initial product design, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or products, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
COBOL programmer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of COBOL programmer job responsibilities:
- Design and implement security solutions for new and existing banking technology systems
- Conduct ongoing systems tests, monitor results, and take corrective action as necessary
- Work with IT team to design and develop company-wide information systems
COBOL programmer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in [Skill]. Here are some examples:
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, computer science or related field
- Minimum five years of experience working in Cobol, Unix, and mainframe environments