How to hire data scrapers
There’s a lot of data publicly available on the web. If you’re looking to collect that data and organize it into a format where it can be accessed for analysis and use, a data scraper can help.
So how do you hire data scrapers? What follows are some tips for finding top data scrapers on Upwork.
How to shortlist data scraping professionals
As you’re browsing available data scraping consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. While not required, it can be useful if a data scraper also understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to obtain the data you need.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., data scraping with Import.io and storing it for further analysis).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular data scraper.
How to write an effective data scraping job post
With a clear picture of your ideal data scraper in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective data scraping job post should include:
- Scope of work: From data scraping to data visualization, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to collect aggregate data found publicly on the web? Log in and post your data scraping job on Upwork today.
DATA SCRAPERS FAQ
What is data scraping?
Data scraping (also known as web scraping) is the practice of programmatically collecting and importing data from a website into a usable format, such as a spreadsheet. Data scrapers help businesses perform market research, gather business intelligence, and even pull data for use in web applications (e.g., travel price-comparison sites).
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in data scraping consultants:
- Data scraping/web scraping
- Dynamic web queries with Excel
- Data scraping tools such as WebHarvy, Import.io, and Chrome’s Data Scraper plugin
- Data analytics
Why hire data scrapers?
The trick to finding top data scrapers is to identify your needs. Do you require only someone with experience performing dynamic web queries with Excel? Or will they also be expected to perform some analysis and data visualization? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a data scraper?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced data scraper may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their data scraping services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.