What is a film director?
Whether for a Hollywood production or a short film for a company’s new product, a film director is responsible for a film's artistic and dramatic direction. Capable film directors are available on Upwork and can effectively visualize the screenplay while guiding the technical crew and actors in the fulfilment of his vision.
How do you hire a film director?
You can source film director talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a film director.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview film directors. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of film director you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a film director?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced film director may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their film directing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a film director job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample film director job post titles:
- Director/cinematographer needed for short film
- Ad agency needs film directors to produce long-form commercials
- Record label looking for film director to produce artist documentaries
An effective film director job post should include:
- Scope of work: From choosing site locations to helping with casting decisions, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or genres, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Film director job responsibilities
Here are some examples of film director job responsibilities:
- Work with editors and sound engineers to finalize independent film
- Teach film students the finer points of directing
- Work with screenwriter to create short film with limited special effects
Film director job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a film director. Here are some examples:
- Undergraduate degree from accredited film school
- Minimum five years as an editor or cinematographer
- Ability to work well with actors and technical crew through entire production