What is a hacker?
How do you hire a hacker?
You can source hacking talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a hacker.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview hackers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of hacker you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a hacker?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced hacker may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their hacking services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a hacker job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample hacker job post titles:
- Need a Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) to security-test a Cisco network
- Seeking a professional hacker to harden our systems against ransomware and malware attacks
- Hackers for hire to penetration-test our AWS cloud network
- Remove a phishing attack on a WordPress website
An effective hacker job post should include:
- Scope of work: From penetration testing to vulnerability scanning, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain technologies or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Hacker job responsibilities
Here are some examples of hacker job responsibilities:
- Scan company networks for system vulnerabilities
- Design and perform penetration tests
- Conduct cybersecurity audits
- Break encryption protocols on locked files
- Offer recommendations for improvements to cybersecurity
Hacker job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications your looking for in a hacker. Here are some examples:
- Cybersecurity, network security, information security and engineering
- Penetration testing and other cybersecurity testing methods
- Computer programming
- IT infrastructure
- Ethical hacking certifications (e.g., CEH, GIAC Penetration Tester, OSCP)