What is a Java developer?
Java developers write universally compatible and scalable applications using Java code and tools. They can build and maintain high-traffic server-side apps, develop mobile apps, and handle security, software debugging, quality control, testing, and much more.
How do you hire a Java developer?
You can source Java developer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a Java developer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview Java developers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of Java developer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a Java developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions. Learn about the cost to hire a Java developer.
How do you write a Java developer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample Java developers job post titles:
- Java developer needed for poverty action application
- Seeking Java developer for real-time music jamming app
- Looking for a Java developer to help with a Shopify website
An effective Java developers job post should include:
- Scope of work: From Android apps to big data analytics, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or coding languages, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Java developer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of Java developers job responsibilities:
- Develop and implement high-volume, low-latency applications to meet organizational goals
- Ensure implementation of best security practices for users and networks
- Define application objectives and functionality to deliver high availability and performance
- Manage programming projects to design, test, and debug software
Java developer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in Java developers. Here are some examples:
- Experience with server-side technologies such as Apache, JBoss, Geronimo, GlassFish, etc.
- Familiarity with Android apps, enterprise software, scientific computing, and/or data analytics
- Background in database management, software development, and computer architecture
- Profound insight of Java and relational databases, SQL, and ORM technologies