How to hire PHP developers
It’s the “P” in the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) technology stack. It can be found on the backend of a majority of websites. It’s PHP the traditional language of choice for backend web development. If you’re looking for a freelancer who can help you set up the backend of your website, a PHP developer can help.
So how do you find a PHP developer? What follows are some tips on how you can find top PHP developers on Upwork.
What is a PHP developer?
A PHP developer is simply a back-end developer who is experienced in using the PHP programming language.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in PHP development freelancers:
- PHP frameworks such as Laravel, CakePHP, and Zend
- Database technologies such as MySQL, Oracle, and Postgresql
- Web servers such as Apache and NGINX
- Server OSs such as Linux and Windows
- CMSs (content management systems) such as WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla
PHP development consultants help businesses create the business logic that powers their web applications from behind the scenes.
How to shortlist PHP development freelancers
As you’re browsing available PHP development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a PHP developer who is familiar with the libraries and frameworks found in your technology stack.
- Developer workflow. Familiarity with any project management tools, test suites, or version control systems that you use is a plus.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular PHP developer.
Why do you want to hire PHP developers?
The trick to finding top PHP developers is to identify your needs. Will you be migrating a legacy website to a newer development architecture? Do you need any niche skills such as experience with Shopify for an ecommerce site? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective PHP development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal PHP developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would with employment, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective PHP development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From unit tests to new features, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain industries, software, or technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to power your website with PHP? Log in and post your PHP development job on Upwork today.