How to hire .NET developers
From cloud services to IoT apps and 3D video games, if you’re building software for the Microsoft ecosystem, a .NET developer can help.
So how do you find a .NET developer? What follows are some tips for finding top .NET developers on Upwork.
What is a .NET developer?
A .NET developer is any Visual Basic, C#, or F# programmer who has experience using one or more of the tools found in the .NET platform, which includes:
- .NET Core provides cross-platform support to develop apps for Windows, Linux, and MacOS.
- .NET Framework supports websites, services, and desktop apps for Windows.
- Xamarin/Mono provides cross-platform support for mobile operating systems such as Android and iOS.
- UWP (Universal Windows Platform) is an API for building universal apps capable of running on any device that runs the Windows 10 OS.
- Unity is a game development platform for building 2D/3D games, simulations, virtual reality and augmented reality powered apps with .NET and the C# programming language.
- ML.NET is Microsoft’s free, open-source, machine learning framework for .NET developers.
- Azure is Microsoft’s cloud services platform. It also supports machine learning and IoT app development for cloud environments.
.NET development consultants help businesses build software for a wide variety of applications.
How to shortlist .NET development freelancers
As you’re browsing available .NET development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. From machine learning to game development, you want a .NET developer who is familiar with the specific languages, libraries, and tools you need to bring your project to life.
- Organization. From version control systems such as GitHub to preferred project management software such as Trello, you want an organized developer who can slide into your workflow.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular .NET developer.
Why do you want to hire .NET developers?
The trick to finding top .NET development freelancers is to identify your needs. There’s a big difference between developing a VR game and creating a SaaS (software as a service). The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective .NET development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal .NET development in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective .NET development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From new features to technology migrations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: Translate your .NET development needs into a freelancer profile.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to create a .NET app that will help you maximize the effectiveness of your marketing campaign? Log in and post your .NET development job on Upwork today.