HOW TO HIRE PHOTO RETOUCHERS
Finished with global edits such as color correction but still feel your photos could use a little retouching before you present them to the world? A photo retoucher can help.
So how do you hire photo retouchers? What follows are some tips for finding top photo retouchers on Upwork.
How to shortlist photo retouching professionals
As you’re browsing available photo retouching consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Portfolio. A great way to judge a photo retoucher’s skills is to see their portfolio.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., retouching models for a magazine cover).
- Feedback Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular photo retoucher.
How to write an effective photo retouching job post
With a clear picture of your ideal photo retoucher in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective photo retouching job post should include:
- Scope of work: From removing red eyes from photos to masking blemishes, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or photo editing tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to give your photos a final professional polish? Log in and post your photo retouching job on Upwork today.
PHOTO RETOUCHERS FAQ
What is photo retouching?
Photo retouching refers to the localized edits performed to polish an image for final presentation. Common examples of photo retouching include masking blemishes, correcting red eyes, and whitening teeth.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in photo retouching professionals:
- Photo retouching
- Photo editing tools such as Adobe Photoshop
Why hire photo retouchers?
The trick to finding top photo retouchers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to retouch a photo for your LinkedIn profile? Or do you have a backlog of wedding photos that need that final polish before presenting them to a client? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a photo retoucher?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced photo retoucher may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their photo retouching services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.