How to hire product developers
Whether you’re creating a physical or digital product, you need someone who can track and manage your product’s journey from conception to delivery.
So how do you hire product developers? Here are some tips for finding top product developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist product development professionals
As you’re browsing available product development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles using criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a product developer who understands the nuances and technical challenges of developing a product for your industry.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., Lean Six Sigma certification for manufacturing a product).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular product developer.
How to write an effective product development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal product developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective product development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From requirements gathering to project management, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or project management tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to bring your products to life? Log in and post your product development job on Upwork today.
PRODUCT DEVELOPER FAQ
What is product development?
Product development is the process of moving a product from ideation to market release.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in product development professionals:
- Product development
- Project management
- Software development lifecycle for digital products
- CAD (computer-aided design) for physical products
- Industry-specific expertise (e.g., SolidWorks for developing an aerospace product)
Why hire product developers?
The trick to finding top product developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to set up an Agile software development workflow at your business? Or do you need help with product data management for the design and development of a physical product? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a product developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced product developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their product development more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.