How to hire QA engineers
Whether your product is physical or digital, you want to be able to assure your customers and stakeholders that you’re producing a quality product. A QA (quality assurance) engineer can inspect and test your product to industry standards to ensure customers receive a quality product.
So how do you hire QA engineers? What follows are some tips for finding top QA engineers on Upwork.
How to shortlist QA engineering professionals
As you’re browsing available QA engineering consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a QA engineer who understands the technologies behind your product so that they will know how to test it.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., building and maintaining a test suite for an ASP.NET-powered app).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular QA engineer.
How to write an effective QA engineering job post
With a clear picture of your ideal QA engineer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective QA engineering job post should include:
- Scope of work: From writing test plans to scripting unit tests, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, quality standards, or test tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to build quality into your products? Log in and post your QA engineering job on Upwork today.
QA ENGINEERS FAQ
What is QA engineering?
Quality assurance (QA) engineering is the systematic testing and inspection of a product during development, production, and delivery.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in QA engineering professionals:
- QA engineering and management
- Writing test plans
- Test case design
- Software QA & testing
Why hire QA engineers?
The trick to finding top QA engineers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to incorporate regular unit tests in the development of a React Native mobile app with a specific testing framework such as Jest? Or do you need help writing test plans and inspection procedures in accordance with ISO standards for manufacturing electronic devices? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a QA engineer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced QA engineer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their QA engineering more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.