How to hire Roku developers
A Roku developer is someone who’s mastered the ins and outs of the Roku SDK (software development kit). If you want to create your own Roku channel or app, a Roku developer can help.
So how do you hire Roku developers? What follows are some tips for finding top Roku developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist Roku development professionals
As you’re browsing available Roku development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the contractors you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology. Solid fundamentals in APIs, web, and mobile app development are a must.
- Streaming service expertise. It’s a good sign if a Roku developer has experience working with a variety of streaming devices and connected TV platforms.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Roku developer.
How to write an effective Roku development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Roku developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Roku development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From unit tests to APIs, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience working with certain devices, TV platforms, or technology stacks, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to build, test, and maintain your own Roku channel? Log in and post your Roku development job on Upwork today.
ROKU DEVELOPERS FAQ
What is Roku?
Roku is a video streaming platform that allows you to watch both free and paid video content on your TV through an internet connection. Simply connect a Roku device to your TV using an HDMI cable, and you can start streaming content over the internet through Roku apps called channels. If you want to make your own channel and start streaming your own video content, a Roku developer can help.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Roku development consultants:
- Roku Developer Mode and Roku SDK
- Roku BrightScript and SceneGraph
- Basic web and/or mobile app development
- Connected TV platforms and devices (e.g., Amazon Fire TV, Samsung Smart TV network, iOS, Android)
Why hire Roku developers?
The trick to finding top Roku developers is to identify your needs. Are you building a streaming channel from scratch? Or are you looking to run software quality tests and keep your authentication certificates up-to-date? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a Roku developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Roku developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Roku development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.