APIs are like the gateways between software and services. Google APIs let you connect your apps with Google services such as Gmail, GoogleMaps, and GoogleDrive.
So how do you hire Google API developers? What follows are some tips for finding top Google API developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist Google API professionals
As you’re browsing available Google API consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a Google API developer who understands the technologies and Google services needed to bring your project to life.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., automating Google app workflows with Zapier).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Google API developer.
How to write an effective Google API job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Google API developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Google API job post should include:
- Scope of work: From GoogleMaps integrations to cloud storage, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, technologies, or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to power your apps with Google products and services? Log in and post your Google API job on Upwork today.
Google API Developer FAQs
What is Google API?
Google API is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) developed by Google.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Google API professionals:
- Google APIs
- Web development
- API Development
Why do you want to hire Google API developers?
The trick to finding top Google API developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to embed Google Maps into your mobile app? Or are you trying to pull data programmatically from your paid search campaign with Google Adwords API? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a Google API developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Google API developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Google API services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a Google API developer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long you will need a Google API developer, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more-demanding Google API projects. For example, inserting Google Maps into your WordPress site will typically take less time than adding vision detection capabilities to your AI with Google Cloud Vision API.
What are the steps involved to hire Google API developers?
Here’s how to hire Google API consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s cloud storage or analytics feeds.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., leveraging Google Translate API to build a translation tool for your site).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential Google API developers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., experience with ASP.NET web technologies).
- Interview Google API talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.