What is an SAP ABAP freelancer?
Initially developed by SAP in 1983, Advanced Business Application Programming (ABAP) is a programming language designed for the SAP Application Server and the NetWeaver platform for business applications. If you’re looking to upgrade, maintain, or develop software for your SAP application server, you’ll need the help of a SAP ABAP developer to help you get started.
How do you hire an SAP ABAP freelancer?
You can source SAP ABAP freelancer talent on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description. You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in an SAP ABAP freelancer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview SAP ABAP freelancers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of SAP ABAP freelancer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire an SAP ABAP freelancer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced SAP ABAP freelancer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their SAP ABAP freelancing services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write an SAP ABAP freelancer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample SAP ABAP freelancer job post titles:
- Need senior-level SAP developer who is fluent with ABAP
- Looking for end-to-end implementation specialist to analysis, design, and build in SAP environment
- Need SAP ABAP developer who can create technical requirements for new applications
An effective SAP ABAP freelancer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From developing functional requirements to resolving issues during the testing process, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, environments, or requirements, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
SAP ABAP freelancer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of SAP ABAP freelancer job responsibilities:
- Work with the functional team to ensure company requirements are met by technical design
- Operate as the internal technical expert on customer ABAP development projects
- Design future enhancements for all internal and customer ABAP development
SAP ABAP freelancer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in an SAP ABAP freelancer. Here are some examples:
- Demonstrates full knowledge of ABAP development
- Extensive experience designing Core Data Services (CDS) views and ODATA services
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills