How to hire solution architects
As organizations scale, software becomes complex. A solution architect can help you match enterprise-level requirements with technical solutions.
So how do you hire solution architects? What follows are some tips for finding top solution architecture consultants on Upwork.
How to shortlist solution architecture professionals
As you’re browsing available solution architecture consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Technology fit. You want a solution architect who understands the cloud solutions, IT infrastructure, and other technologies behind your software project.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., working with a Cisco technology stack).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular solution architect.
How to write an effective solution architecture job post
With a clear picture of your ideal solution architect in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective solution architecture job post should include:
- Scope of work: From enterprise cloud solutions to microservices architectures, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or enterprise technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to launch your solution architecture project? Log in and post your solution architecture job on Upwork today.
SOLUTION ARCHITECTS FAQ
What is solution architecture?
Solution architecture is the practice of designing and describing software systems within the larger context of a business solution. The solution architect is responsible for facilitating communication between developers, stakeholders, and other parties
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in solution architecture consultants:
- Solution architecture
- IT infrastructure
- Software engineering
- Cloud technologies (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
Why hire solution architects?
The trick to finding top solution architects is to identify your needs. Is your goal to migrate your software architecture from physical servers to the cloud? Will your solution architect need to be familiar with DevOps? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a solution architect?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced solution architect may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their solution architecture services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.