Hi! I'm James, a Harvard Computer Science graduate, an ex-Googler, and CTO-level fullstack software engineer. I have 21 years of work experience, and can meet in-person if you’re in or near silicon valley. I believe that brilliance is good; reliability is better; and most important are integrity and compassion.. I help awesome people doing amazing things in the world; and I will deliver you delightful tech and tech leadership, on time, on budget, with full transparency and candor.
I provide the following services:
- Fractional CTO: I will work with you to clarify your visionary goals into an actionable technical roadmap; help you secure funding if necessary; and then run the technical operation start to finish.
- Web and native app development: From napkin-sketch ideation to 7+ figure production, I will deliver intuitive, elegant digital experiences to your customers, from top-rated games and 3D virtual worlds to FDA compliant medical software, on the web and on devices.
- Solving “unsolvable” tech problems. Examples of real projects I was engaged for: building a low power “hurricane proof” weather camera (Weather Channel); assisting with the development of the Semantic Reactor (a Google/Alphabet internal project); building a physical neural network entirely out of glass.
- Technical project management: I will ensure your project runs on time and on budget, with incremental milestones and mitigated risks, using the best of Agile and PM tooling. I can manage teams large and small.
- Productionalizing Research. Give me the research paper or the patent, I’ll make it real and scalable.
- Consulting, with lawyers and attorneys, as a software engineering resource, for instance with respect to contracts and other legal matters (like Privacy Policies or GDPR/CCPA concerns).
- Modernization of old technology: I will migrate and modernize your legacy application using the industry’s latest best practices. I have experience with performance tuning, scalability, devops, security hardening, penetration testing, and much more.
- Teaching and coaching: I teach middle and high schoolers competitive coding. I enjoy tapping into every student’s life story and motivations. I also advise entrepreneurs and can act as a sounding board for personal and professional goals.
- Solutions Architect: I provide comparative analysis of modern cloud technologies and explanations of how to use them for different scenarios. For example, I delivered a research paper to a private equity firm comparing Kafka, Kinesis, and other message queue technologies.
The following are some of the technologies I have experience with:
• Analytics and Automation: make.com, Zapier, Twillio, Vercel, Airtable, Tableaux, Salesforce
• Web: HTML5/CSS /SCSS/SASS/CSS-in-JS, React, Angular, WASM, 3js / three.js, Svelte, Astro, Vue.js, Qwik, Next.js, internationalization/i18n, localization l10n, accessibility/a11y
• AI: PyTorch, TensorFlow, ChatGPT, GPT3 and GPT4, GAN (generative adversarial networks), Transformers, LSTM, RNN, belief networks / HMM
• Mobile: ios (Swift and Objective-C), Android (Kotlin, Java) and DEX / Dalvik debugging, Google Play, App Store, React Native, expo
• Geospatial: S3, H2, KD-tree, quadtree, ArcGIS, choropleths, NLP (including slack and discord chat bots)
• MVP and Project Management: Figma, Trello, Jira, Agile, Scrum, Kanban
• Testing and QA: JUnit, Jest, Mocha, Chai, Selenium, Puppeteer, Playwright, Cypress
• Backend: NodeJS, Express, Django, flask, Tomcat, Spring, RabbitMQ
• Infrastructure and DevOps: Docker, Kubernetes/k8s. GitHub Actions, CircleCI, Jenkins, Vercel, Netlify, Gatsby, Drone, Vagrant, Chef, Ansible, Terraform
• Auth and InfoSec: auth0, oauth2, pentest, ISO 27001, GDPR, CCPA
• Cloud tech: AWS, Azure, GCP, EC2, S3, Lambda, Kafka, Kinesis, AppSync, Spark, Storm, DataFlow, Hadoop
• Databases: MySQL, Postgres, Firebase, Mongo, DynamoDB, Redis, NoSQL
• Games / 3D: Unity, Unreal, OpenGL, webgl, photogrammetry, Meshlab, Blender, OpenCV
• Embedded Tech: IoT, Raspberry Pi, Arduino,
• Code Management: Github, Gitlab, Gerrit, Git, Svn
• DevOps and Command Line: Bash, ZSH, Linux, PowerShell, Make, ImageMagick, FFMpeg, cron, GNU core tools