How to hire GIS developers
Geographic information system (GIS) technology has revolutionized the way we use geography to inform decisions. If you’re looking for a developer who can help your business better leverage geographic data, a GIS developer can help.
So how do you hire GIS developers? What follows are some tips for finding top GIS developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist GIS development professionals
As you’re browsing available GIS development consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a GIS developer who understands your industry so they can develop a software solution custom-tailored to your needs.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., IT systems administration of an ASP.NET-powered back end).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular GIS developer.
How to write an effective GIS development job post
With a clear picture of your ideal GIS developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective GIS development job post should include:
- Scope of work: From API integrations to unit tests, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, mapping tools, or GIS frameworks, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to build, deploy, and maintain a GIS-powered app? Log in and post your GIS development job on Upwork today.
GIS DEVELOPERS FAQ
What is GIS development?
GIS is a framework for the capture, storage, and use of spatial or geographic data in software applications. GIS has many uses, including urban planning, environmental impact analysis, and agricultural applications.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in GIS development professionals:
- GIS frameworks such as ArcGIS, Esri, and Portal
- Software development
- Digital mapping (e.g., geospatial, cartography)
- Industry-specific expertise (e.g., agriculture, real estate, environmental)
Why hire GIS developers?
The trick to finding top GIS developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to leverage existing geographic data to find the optimal location to open a new branch of your retail business? Or are you performing an environmental survey of local wetlands? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a GIS developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced GIS developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their GIS development services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.