How to hire statistical modeling specialists
Statisticians can create statistical models for a wide variety of industries, from healthcare to marketing to risk management.
So how do you hire statistical modeling specialists? What follows are some tips for finding top statistical modeling specialists on Upwork.
How to shortlist statistical modeling professionals
As you’re browsing available statistical modeling consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a statistical modeling specialist who understands your industry so they will know which statistical tools and methods are needed for your project.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., background in C++ and embedded systems to leverage statistical models in a robotics project).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular statistical modeling specialist.
How to write an effective statistical modeling job post
With a clear picture of your ideal statistical modeling specialist in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective statistical modeling job post should include:
- Scope of work: From statistical models to data visualizations, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, statistical methods, or technologies, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to leverage statistical models to make better predictions in your industry? Log in and post your statistical modeling job on Upwork today.
STATISTICAL MODELING SPECIALISTS FAQ
What is statistical modeling?
Statistical modeling involves using mathematics and data to make predictions. A statistical model is a family of probability distributions.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in statistical modeling professionals:
- Statistical modeling
- Data science
- Data analytics
- Popular data-processing languages (e.g., Python, MATLAB, R)
Why do you want to hire statistical modeling specialists?
The trick to finding top statistical modeling specialists is to identify your needs. Is your goal to create an FP&A (financial planning and analysis) budget model to project your business’s budget for the next three years? Do you also require software development skills to incorporate statistical models into a SaaS (software as a service) product? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a statistical modeling specialist?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced statistical modeling specialist may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their statistical modeling services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.