How to hire Terraform developers
Looking to streamline version control, code review, continuous integration, and automated testing by treating infrastructure as code? A Terraform developer can help.
So how do you hire Terraform developers? What follows are some tips for finding top Terraform developers on Upwork.
How to shortlist Terraform professionals
As you’re browsing available Terraform consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a Terraform developer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., IT automation with Ansible Tower).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular Terraform developer.
How to write an effective Terraform job post
With a clear picture of your ideal Terraform developer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective Terraform job post should include:
- Scope of work: From automated testing to version control, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, technologies, or developer tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to streamline version control and configuration of your IT infrastructure? Log in and post your Terraform job on Upwork today.
TERRAFORM DEVELOPERS FAQ
What is Terraform?
Terraform is HashiCorp’s DevOps-friendly version control and configuration tool for managing IT infrastructure. The platform emphasizes the infrastructure-as-code philosophy of DevOps, allowing system administrators to define their infrastructure as configuration files that can be managed with HCL (HashiCorp Configuration Language).
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in Terraform consultants:
- System administration
- Server automation tools (e.g., Puppet, Ansible)
- Container tools (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes)
- Cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure)
Why hire Terraform developers?
The trick to finding top Terraform developers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to streamline maintenance of your cloud infrastructure using Terraform configuration files? Will you require experience with other DevOps tools such as Docker and Chef? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a Terraform developer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced Terraform developer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their Terraform services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.