What is a DevOps engineer?
DevOps engineers oversee the entire code and software development and deployment process, uniting the development and operations teams for maximum efficiency. DevOps is a software development philosophy that builds off lean and agile practices with an emphasis on testing, monitoring, automation, continuous integration (CI), and continuous delivery (CD).
How do you hire a DevOps engineer?
You can source DevOps engineers on Upwork by following these three steps:
- Write a project description.You’ll want to determine your scope of work and the skills and requirements you are looking for in a DevOps engineer.
- Post it on Upwork. Once you’ve written a project description, post it to Upwork. Simply follow the prompts to help you input the information you collected to scope out your project.
- Shortlist and interview DevOps engineers. Once the proposals start coming in, create a shortlist of the professionals you want to interview.
Of these three steps, your project description is where you will determine your scope of work and the specific type of DevOps engineer you need to complete your project.
How much does it cost to hire a DevOps engineer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced DevOps engineer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more-specialized areas of expertise, and deliver higher-quality work.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their DevOps engineer services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How do you write a DevOps engineer job post?
Your job post is your chance to describe your project scope, budget, and talent needs. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a DevOps engineer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
Job post title
Create a simple title that describes exactly what you’re looking for. The idea is to target the keywords that your ideal candidate is likely to type into a job search bar to find your project. Here are some sample DevOps engineer job post titles:
- Cloud DevOps engineer with ML experience needed
- Seeking DevOps engineer for GitLab/WP Engine pipeline setup
- Looking for a DevOps engineer to help with root access to Linode server
An effective DevOps engineer job post should include:
- Scope of work: From full-stack development to tweaking an existing process, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries, software, or servers, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
DevOps engineer job responsibilities
Here are some examples of DevOps engineer job responsibilities:
- Oversee the entire software development and deployment process, managing and assigning projects while supporting the team
- Develop codes for testing and CI/CD
- Troubleshoot issues with testing and production and solve them before launch
- Automate operational processes while maintaining accuracy and security compliance
DevOps engineer job requirements and qualifications
Be sure to include any requirements and qualifications you’re looking for in a DevOps engineer. Here are some examples:
- Proficient in development, deployment, and network operations
- Knowledgeable in scripting, system and server administration, mass system deployments, networking security, databases, and cloud systems
- Experience with issue-tracking tools such as Asana, Wrike, and Jira
- Familiar with source control/versioning tools such as Git, Bitbucket, SVN, and TFS as well as build tools such as Gradle, Maven, and Grunt