How to hire typography designers
Need help selecting typefaces, fonts, point sizes, line lengths, and letter spacing for your graphic design project? A typography designer can help.
So how do you hire typography designers? What follows are some tips for finding top typography designers on Upwork.
How to shortlist typography design professionals
As you’re browsing available typography design consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a typography designer who understands your industry so they can help you design typography that will resonate with your target audience.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., designing typography for print media such as novels).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular typography designer.
How to write an effective typography design job post
With a clear picture of your ideal typography designer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a contractor to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective typography design job post should include:
- Scope of work: From font styles to custom type design, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or design tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to make the text in your graphic design project stand out from the crowd? Log in and post your typography design job on Upwork today.
TYPOGRAPHY DESIGNERS FAQ
What is typography?
Typography is the art of arranging and designing type so that it is legible and visually appealing.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in typography design professionals:
- Graphic design
- Print layout design
- Design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite
Why hire typography designers?
The trick to finding top typography designers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to pick the right typesetting, format, and layout for a banner ad? Or do you need someone to design the text that will appear in your mobile app? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How much does it cost to hire a typography designer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced typography designer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A contractor who is still in the process of building a client base may price their typography design services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.