What is poster design?
Poster design is the process of designing the layout, typography, and graphics that go into those large printed pictures we call posters.
Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in poster design professionals:
- Poster design
- Print media
- Graphic design
- Desktop publishing tools such as Adobe InDesign
Why do you want to hire poster designers?
The trick to finding top poster designers is to identify your needs. Is your goal to create posters to advertise an upcoming performance at your local theater? Or do you need multiple branded posters to advertise an upcoming marketing promotion or event? The cost of your project will depend largely on your scope of work and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
HOW TO HIRE POSTER DESIGNERS
When it comes to making a statement in a public space, there’s nothing like a poster to advertise your products, services, or events.
So how do you hire poster designers? What follows are some tips for finding top poster designers on Upwork.
How to shortlist poster design professionals
As you’re browsing available poster design consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the professionals you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a poster designer who understands your industry so they can help you figure out how best to reach your target market.
- Project experience. Screen candidate profiles for specific skills and experience (e.g., creating movie posters).
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular poster designer.
How to write an effective poster design job post
With a clear picture of your ideal poster designer in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Although you don’t need a full job description as you would when hiring an employee, aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective poster design job post should include:
- Scope of work: From typography to illustration, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: If you prefer experience with certain industries or design tools, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to boost your physical marketing efforts with professional-looking posters? Log in and post your poster design job on Upwork today.
FAQS FOR HIRING POSTER DESIGNERS
How much does it cost to hire a poster designer?
Rates can vary due to many factors, including expertise and experience, location, and market conditions.
- An experienced poster designer may command higher fees but also work faster, have more specialized areas of expertise, and deliver a higher-quality product.
- A freelancer who is still in the process of building a client base may price their poster design services more competitively.
Which one is right for you will depend on the specifics of your project.
How long should you contract a poster designer to complete your project?
As difficult as it is to estimate how long it takes to design a poster, budgeting time is very important to keeping your project on track.
Be prepared to budget more time for more demanding poster projects. For example, commissioning a single poster for your local school play will typically take less time than designing multiple posters to advertise a product launch in malls across America.
What are the steps involved to hire poster designers?
Here’s how to hire poster design consultants in four simple steps:
- Identify your project needs, whether it’s designing a poster for a performance or a marketing event.
- Define the scope of work and write a detailed job post. Be specific about deliverables (e.g., designing two posters to split test your print media marketing efforts).
- Review proposals and shortlist potential poster designers for unique skills needed to bring your project to life (e.g., creating custom graphics for your poster with Adobe Illustrator).
- Interview poster design talent to gauge whether they’re the right fit for your project. Here are some sample interview questions.